Monday, January 21, 2008

Delayed

I should be on an airplane right now somewhere near Chaing Mai, Thailand, but I'm not. Here's the low down....Arrive at LAX 6:45 pm. Takes 45 minutes to check in. Go eat dinner before we get on the 19 hr. plane ride. Go through security. Find LAX Bradley terminal to be dirty, under construction and very third world. I think I actually had culture shock in the bathrooms. Crazy, I know, but true. I went to look for the duty free shops--alcohol, cigarettes and magazines...that's it! So, that wasn't very entertaining.

We were to board at 8:50 pm. 9:30 departure. 9:30pm rolls around and an announcement is made that the entertainment center isn't working and there will be a 10 minute delay. 10 min. goes by, another announcement-30 more minutes. They bring out sodas and pretzels to ease those in the crowd who are getting axious. 30 minutes go by--another announcement--new departure time at 11:00pm. 10:50 pm comes about and new announcement--flight is cancelled. CANCELLED! Then continues the saga....we ECONOMY class get in one line and give our name. We then sit around for our name to be called to get our hotel voucher. I put headphones in and listed to music. About 30 minutes later, before I knew it, everyone was standing up and leaving. No announcement, nothing! Gathering my things together, shutting down my computer, I hurried to the back of the pack with my parents. We went back through security, outside and waited for the bus to take us to the hotel. Now, here's the funny thing. Our buses were delayed! Since I was in the back of the pack, I was on the fourth bus. When I got to the hotel(which was the Renaissance Hotel..very classy!) I waited in yet another line to check in. All in all..I put my head on the pillow at 2 AM.

Now here's the reason i'm happy all of that happened-I opened up my computer this morning and freaked out. It was acting really weird and nothing I did was working. This computer is the one I'm using for all of my teaching in Thailand. AHHHHHH!!! So since my new flight time is not until 6 pm tonight, I went to the front desk and found an Apple store 6 miles away. I walked in, explained my situation, almost got on my knees since they didn't have any more openings to look at my computer, and the nice apple techie showed mercy. He typed a few things, held a few buttons down and whalah...macbook healed! Thank you Jesus:) Now, i'm sitting outside of the store using their free wifi trying to pass the few hours left before I have to sit in the nasty airport again. If all turns out the way it's replanned, I should arrive in Thailand a day late.

No comments: