Monday, June 02, 2008

Pick Up Sticks

I spent the weekend in Lansing, on a friend's family farm. She and a couple other friends were helping prep stuff for the Urban Arts camps. One of the projects required 100 tree sticks that needed to be a certain length and width. What better place than the woods! Our timing was a little off though when we decided to start. So, to document this adventure better than a suburban girl could tell it:), I thought I'd show some video. Be sure to watch it in order from top to bottom!
It begins at the Brook Farm on Saturday. We are just setting out on the John Deer Gator to get around.





Before you view the next video in the series, let me explain what happened right before we turned the camera on. Melissa and I stepped out of the Gator, toward the pile of sticks and as we did, there was a huge rustle of leaves and the sounds of scurrying animals. It was quite freaky!



The next day after church we were counting the number of sticks we had gathered. Not enough:( That night we went over to a bonfire with some people and decided to pick up sticks on their farm. It was quite late, we were pretty tired, and we couldn't see anything once we got out of the workshop. If you are wondering what my one friend, Brie, is doing, she is singing to the music on the radio that is playing in the shop. It's funny though cause you can't really hear the music and she just looks goofy:)


I thought I'd throw these next couple of short videos in even though you can't see too much, it's part of the adventure you don't want to miss!




When we finally got the trailer full of branches and sticks, Derrick was kind enough to turn on the band saw and cut the sticks to size and cut off all the little knobs.


And that is the story of my weekend. When we get pictures of the actual art project I will be sure to post them so you can see what all of this craziness was for:)

No comments: