Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Glimpse of Reality

Ralph, Rayshaun, Larry, A.J., Destiny, and Takyea didn't show up to camp today. The day before our performance. The last full day of camp. I was so disappointed. I started asking the kids where they were and the responses varied. Everything from a doctor's appointment (they thought) to one of the families driving out of town. I decided to speak with Ms. Kat who is my City Mission contact for this week. She offered to give a phone call to each of the kid's parent, grandparent or guardian. As we went down the list, most of the kids had a legitimate excuse for not being there. We found out that some were even coming later in the day. That made me feel a little better.

But one phone call broke my heart. One of the boys who wasn't able to come answered the phone when Ms. Kat called. He said he wasn't able to come because he was babysitting his brothers and sisters. Ms. Kat asked to speak to his mama. As the mama was coming to the phone Ms. Kat heard her cussing this boy out. Once she got on the phone she was a sweet as she could be, but drunk. Ms. Kat invited her to the dinner and performance and then proceeded to explain that this lady's son had a solo part in the performance and we really missed his leadership at the camp. She said he wouldn't be there and he probably won't be at the performance. My heart broke when Ms. Kat told me. This young man was exemplary in his action, leadership, words and attitude. But I was told that this is typical for their community. Today I saw a glimpse of reality in the neighborhood. I pray that the work we did the last two weeks would stay with the kids the rest of their life to give them Jesus first and something worth holding onto.

No comments: