Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Step It Up

Day 2 of middle/high school Urban Arts camp completed. I think the phrase I heard most throughout the day from the teachers and counselors was, "step it up". The girls took it seriously. They focused in each rotation today and I saw huge steps of improvement that will paid off during the performance on Friday. The guys....well, their focus was somewhere else today..the girls, themselves, who knows! (for most of them anyway). I think they are getting more comfortable with us and feeling like they can get away with more. WRONG:) I was laughing so hard when the guys were in their dance rotation, because Vicky, the dance teacher, was making them do push ups, crunches and all sorts of other things that they didn't think they needed to do. Their was some pain happening there!

Another change that I decided to implement last night was to introduce poetry to the girls and guys classes. It's a challenge for me to get them to the level of understanding and performance in the next 2 days, but i'm going to try and pray that it comes across well. The kids need this exposure on stage. Performing is more than singing and dancing so i'm "stepping it up" as we say:)

I did have some disappointing news: we don't get to use the public middle school this Friday. I guess they are on vacation and don't have anyone who can be there for us. So, we have found a church that i'm going to take a look at tomorrow. I'm a little skeptical because they are going to put us in the "lower level"...my interpretation of that is the basement. We'll see....

More tomorrow on our progress if time allows:)

No comments: