Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What We Take for Granted

How many of you guys out there own a white button down shirt? a pair of black pants? a pair of dress shoes? I would guess that most of you would have this in your wardrobe, even if you don't wear it all the time. And ladies, what about a nice "Sunday" dress, dress shoes, a pair of tan pants?

This past week, I was working with my elementary kids at City Mission and they wanted to know what the costumes were for our performance in December. Since we are partnering with KCC, we are matching their costumes. It's pretty basic: girls wear pretty party dresses, boys wear white shirts and black pants for the first set. The costumes for the second set are tan pants and a solid color shirt. As I explained the two different costumes, I began to see some worried faces and a few hands began to raise. I knew then, it wasn't going to be as simple as opening up the closet door and pulling out one pair of many tan colored pants. These kids don't have that luxury. Once again, my heart broke for these children. But, they will not go without this Christmas performance if I can help it! Thrift stores here I come!:) If any of you would like to help out by letting a child borrow a piece of clothing or buy them a new item for this performance it would be the best Christmas present they could get!

No comments: