Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sista Circle Class 4-FOCUS

We were in a different location for Sister Circle tonight. A whole new venue. Once in a while the church isn't available for us to use so we get bumped to another location. It's not a bad thing, but it's definitely more challenging as a teacher. You see, we all have comfort zones. We are creatures of habit. Once we get use to something, we open up a little more; take risks. Last week I saw evidence of that. The girls began to open up and focus.

This week the FOCUS was hard to see. We were in a new environment, a bigger room, more activity going on with people passing through the room. I wish I could get these girls to see how important it is to have focus; to keep it and how to use it. Again, I am reminded that I must be patient and see the Lord work over time. These life skills are not something that any of us learn in 2 hours. So, that being said, I worked on a Maya Angelou poem and only got through the first stanza. I'm pretty sure very few of the girls had every "analyzed" poetry before. But that is basically what I was doing..walking them through the poem and helping them understand it. I have 3 weeks left for them to understand it, learn it, and memorize it before the performance. It will only be the Lord's doing!:)

No comments: